Searching for snowshoeing trails in Valais, Switzerland? Look no further! In this blog post, we outlined 2 beautiful snowshoeing trails, perfect for your unforgettable stay in this Swiss region, which has one the highest number of sunny days in the country!
Snowshoeing in Valais, Switzerland
So let us present the 2 epic snowshoeing trails in Valais, which we got to experience on a sunny weekend in January:
1# Riederalp & Aletschgletscher
Imagine snowshoeing along the longest glacier in Europe! Well, good news, it's possible in the region of Valais! The famous Aletsch glacier with its length of almost 23 km can be admired from the mountain ridge between Belalp, Riederalp or Eggishorn, and this is possible even on your snowshoes! How cool is that? 😄
Snowshoeing trail Moosfluh - Chüestall
- Take a cable car from Mörel, and then a ski lift to Moosfluh -> your starting point
- Check out the Moosfluh viewpoint, where you witness the Aletsch glacier for the first time
- 1.5 hours of snowshoeing -> a walk of 5.1 km
Now have a look at the pictures:
2# Simplon Pass
For those who want to make sure that there is A LOT of snow on your snowshoeing adventure, then head to the breathtaking Simplon Pass! It's a true winter wonderland at an altitude of 2000 m! This is not only a great place for snowshoeing but also for ski touring (a dream!!) and snowboarding with a kite (what's the official name for that?), as there is a special place for that. We were blown away by this PLACE!
Snowshoeing trail Simplon Kulm - Where You Want
- park your car behind the hotel Simplon Kulm Bellevue -> your starting point
- follow the snowshoeing trail, starting right from the parking
- along the way you will most probably see a place where snowboarders learn to kite, really cool!
- another option is to cross the road and start snowshoeing in the direction of the wooden statue (eagle)
- you can't do anything wrong with the direction, as there is so much snow for this kind of adventure
- check out the weather and snow conditions before you go
This could be your winter break in Valais, Switzerland - check out the video:
Hotel de Londres is the perfect stay in Valais!
Since the historical city named Brig is perfectly situated between the Riederalp and the Simplon Pass, we truly recommend to book your accommodation here! Imagine snowshoeing during the day and then enjoying the night in one of the bars in the city! We had the chance to stay at the cozy and modern Hotel de Londres, situated just 5 minutes from the train station. Have a look at the photos:
The Hotel de Londres has a beautiful terrace, offering views over the city's main square! In summer, it is possible to eat breakfast outside!
The breakfast with its wide variety of Swiss traditional food (i.e. bread called "Zopf") and also other international treats is more than yummy!
The bed is really comfortable - we slept like babies :)
The hotel from above (drone photo) with a glimpse of the city Brig. As you see, the surrounding is gorgeous:
Make sure you go snowshoeing in Valais since it is a fun adventure but also a great physical training! Now start planning and think about booking your stay at the Hotel de Londres!
Do you like snowshoeing? What snowshoeing trails would you recommend us? Let us know in the comments below!