What Travelling in the Faroe Islands Taught Us

One of the reasons why we chose Faroe Islands as one of our travel destinations is the fact that we are curious travellers. Here's what we took home from our short visit to the relatively remote Faroe Islands.

Interesting Facts About the Faroe Islands

Here are some of the interesting facts of the Faroe Islands with a bunch of our findings and thoughts:

• They consist of 18 big islands with many other islets
  • It is not a part of the EU (eventhough Denmark is) so don't forget your passport
  • Faroese Islands have their own government and are part of the Kingdom of Denmark
  • There are 49,000 people living on the Islands
  • The fertility rate is the Faroe Islands is currently the highest in Europe
  • The Islands still don't have any McDonald's outlets. Let's hope they keep it that way :)
  • Torshavn is one of the smallest capital cities worldwide
  • Their currency is Faroese krona which is 1:1 with Danish krona - they can use it in Denmark although the Danish might be suspicous if you try to do so
  • The Faroese language is more similar to Icelandic than to Danish
  • There is almost no crime on the Faroe Islands and therefore there is no prison
  • There are only 3 traffic lights in the Faroe Islands and they are all in the capital city Torshavn and quite close to each other
  • Have waterproof jackets and shoes :)
  • There are more sheep than humans
  • There are also much more Puffins (birds or tinyflyingpenguinbirds) than humans
  • It is not very touristy
  • It is common for people not to lock their houses or cars - don't exploit that! :)
  • The people are reserved, but friendly (or in short - Scandinavian)
  • Whale hunting is not only a tradition, it is a way of surviving, yet still controversial
  • The stores are relatively understocked with vegetables and fruits - for obvious reasons
  • The weather can change every 5 minutes
  • Don't go hiking during rainy times as it is very slippery in the mountains
  • It is not allowed to camp anywhere, like you can in e.g.: Norway (private property excluded)
  • The fisihing industry is responsible for about 95% of their export
  • There are not many restaurants and cafes on the islands. The service has some room to improve :)
  • It is very remote and tranquil
  • The roofs of the traditional houses are covered with grass. This serves as isolation
  • The highest mountain is 882 m
  • The condition of roads is top but there is no motorway on the islands (nothing wrong with that)
Interesting Facts About the Faroe Islands

What was your experience in the Faroe Islands? Would you add anything on the list?

Related blog posts

You might also like

Write a comment

Comments: 13
  • #1

Jesus Trask (Wednesday, 08 February 2017 06:28)

Keep on writing, great job!

• #2

Gerard Autry (Wednesday, 08 February 2017 10:22)

I enjoy looking through an article that can make men and women think. Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!

• #3

Madeline Palmeri (Thursday, 09 February 2017 16:09)

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Superb work!

• #4

Tami Caruso (Thursday, 09 February 2017 22:06)

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

• #5

Floretta Levens (Friday, 10 February 2017 02:20)

Good article. I absolutely love this website. Stick with it!

• #6

Taneka Bissonette (Friday, 10 February 2017 03:33)

WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for %meta_keyword%

• #7

Katharine Jeanbaptiste (Friday, 10 February 2017 06:29)

Hello, this weekend is fastidious in favor of me, because this occasion i am reading this wonderful educational paragraph here at my house.

• #8

cheapessayservice services (Monday, 09 October 2017 12:45)

Travelers can use our blog shared Islans taught us article. It is given for students mocktime exam and the details will share different essays. So traveler trying to follow your blog updated resources.

• #9

Cynthia Albert (Thursday, 24 March 2022 14:20)

HACK VANISH RECOVERED MY LOST 19.78 BITCOIN AND AIDED ME FIX MY CREDIT REPORT

In Dec, 2021, I invested the sum of 19.78 BTC with a fake blockchain impostor I met online, all the money I had saved up since 2014 got stolen just within a Month, my whole life almost crumbled, to crown it all my FICO score was so bad that I couldn't even afford securing a loan to help my kids, but everything became better after I joined a forum online where I met people testifying about HACK VANISH, a hacker who has been helping thousands of people all over the world. I decided to reach out to him via the following contact shared on the platform Text/Call/WhatsApp: + 1 (747) 293-8514, Email: hackvanish@ gmail. Com, they responded and requested for all necessary details needed in carrying out my JOB, to my greatest surprise my bitcoin was recovered and my credit report fixed, FICO score was boosted to 783 across all 3-credit bureau's, all negative items cleared just within 8 days. I can't stop expressing my profound gratitude to this great team of hackers, I strongly recommend them to anyone in need.

• #10

Thomas Gibson (Monday, 28 November 2022 00:03)

I want to use this opportunity to tell the whole world on how I become rich and famous. I’m 93 years old. I was passing through difficulty in business and there was no hope of me coming out of my debt. I borrow money in my bank to do my business and I run at lost on the business I got frustrated and decided to be playing lottery to see if I can win and make my business grow and I have played for years now nothing good is coming my way on till I meet someone online talking about Dr Ayoola on the internet. He was taking about how this Dr Ayoola help him to win mega million lottery game. I said to myself if this is true and decide to contact him and told him to help me as well I later read more about this man and see how he has been helping people all over the world. I have faith in him and choose to work with him. After working with him he told me what I need to do for the number to be given to me which I did after he finish working he said I will have a dream and the number will be review to me in the dream. That night has I was sleeping I dream a number immediately he call me and gave me the same number I dream of and ask me to go and play the number. Today I’m here testifying of the good work he did for me I played the number and I won the sum of 1, 000,000 million dollars in a lotto max. You can contact Dr Ayoola for help if you want to win big in lottery game he has the gift of giving right number contact him today and thank me email him today Via email: drayoolasolutionhome@gmail. com or https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Ayoola-105640401516053/ text or call +14809032128

• #11

Tom Peacock (Saturday, 03 December 2022 21:02)

My name is Tom Peacock from USA, I want to say thank you to Dr Emu for the good thing he has done for me, Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but i can't hide my happiness and my joy so i have to share it with people, my marriage got crashed about two years ago and i tried all i could within my power but to no avail. I saw a post and testimonial about the good things Dr Emu has been doing so I decided to give it a try. though he is always a busy man but when he responded back to my email, he gave me 48 hours for my marriage to be restored really just like he said my marriage was restored since then I am happy and i am living happily i am so grateful to Dr Emu you can always email him here: {emutemple@gmail.com} or WhatsApp: {+2347012841542}

• #12

Laura Hobson (Saturday, 10 December 2022 01:16)

I was really stressed by Acid reflux issues with my newborn and had consulted Chief Dr Lucky. He gave us a thorough consultation and the medicines were equally effective. In a couple of weeks there was big improvement in my son and we are very pleased with the progress. We cannot thank Chief Dr Lucky enough. Highly recommended.

Email chiefdrlucky@gmail.com

WhatsApp +2348132777335

Facebook page http://facebook.com/chiefdrlucky

• #13

Thomas Gibson (Friday, 27 January 2023 08:09)