If you want to know, what trip was the most exciting, inspiring, educational and the most memorable so far, we would probably say that travelling to Seychelles, South Africa and Swaziland was definitely one of best trips ever! In case, you are interested in travelling to these areas, please have a look at our travel itinerary.
Travelling to Seychelles, South Africa and Swaziland
When did we go?
In May 2015
For how many days did you go?
Did we take any medical precautions?
No. The only risk for malaria was in the northern part of Kruger Park and St. Lucia. But since we went in their winter time, there were not much mosquitos. The only thing we did was spraying against mosquitos and using the mosquito net at the accommodation near Kruger Park and St. Lucia. But we would still recommend you to ask your doctor for advice.
Where did we book our flight?
What flights did we take?
Zurich - Abu Dhabi - Victoria (Mahe); ETIHAD AIRWAYS
Victoria (Mahe) - Johannesburg; AIR SEYCHELLES
Durban - Johannesburg; SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS
Johannesburg - Abu Dhabi - Zurich; ETIHAD AIRWAYS
How much did the flight ticket cost?
What accommodation did we choose?
- Seychelles: Praslin: Jardin Marron
- Seychelles: Mahe: Au Fond de Mer
- South Africa: Graskop: Thaba Tsweni Lodge
- South Africa: near Kruger Park: Buckler's Africa
- South Africa: St. Lucia: Lake St. Lucia Lodge
- South Africa: Drakensberg mountains: Cayley lodge
- Swaziland: Ezuwini valley: Mantenga lodge
Be aware, that accommodation in these countries can be quite pricey!
What did we see?
- The Famous Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi
- Dream beaches in the Seychelles (blog post)
- Turtles in the Seychelles
- Different Seychelles Islands
- Seychelles' Capital City Victoria (blog post)
- Blyde Canyon in South Africa (blog post)
- The Big 5 in South Africa (blog post)
- Swaziland's landscape (blog post)
- Wildlife in Swaziland
- Beaches in The Eastern part of South Africa
- Durban city in South Africa
- Drakensberg mountains in South Africa (blog post)
What activities did we do?
Travel Itinerary to Seychelles, South Africa and Swaziland
Day 1: Zurich - Abu Dhabi (stopover) - Mahe (Seychelles)
6 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi to see the Grand Mosque. Afterwards overnight flight to the lovely Seychelles.
Day 2: Mahe - Praslin
From Mahe Airport by shuttle bus to Mahe port. Boat trip from Mahe to Praslin costs ca. 52 EUR. It can be booked here.
Day 3: Praslin - Curieuse Island
Our very friendly host from the guesthouse Jardin Marron organised the small boat from Praslin to Curieuse islands. Just ask at your stay if they can help you.
Day 4: Praslin - La Digue
Boat trip from Praslin to La Digue: 55 EUR per person. Very pricey, I knoooow... You can book it in advance here.
Day 5: Praslin - Mahe
Back by boat.
Day 6: Mahe
Rented a car at our stay. It is quite useful to have a car while exploring the island Mahe. However, some caution is needed since the roads are narrow.
Day 7: Mahe - Johannesburg (South Africa) - Graskop
Rented a car at Johannesburg Airport. Price: Ca. 35 EUR per day + 90 EUR for petrol.
Day 8: Graskop - Kruger Park
Day 9: Kruger Park
Day 10: Kruger Park - Malolotja National Park - Mbenane (Swaziland)
Driving from South Africa to Swaziland. Hiking in Malolotja National Park. Checking in at the lodge in Mbenane.
Day 11: Mbenane - St. Lucia (South Africa)
Driving from Swaziland to St. Lucia, South Africa
Day 12: St. Lucia - Ballito - Winterton, Drakensberg
Day 13: Winterton, Drakensberg
Day 14: Winterton, Drakensberg
Day 15: Winterton, Drakensberg - Durban - Johannesburg
Slept near the Johannesburg airport.
Day 16: Johannesburg - Abu Dhabi (UAE) - Zurich (Switzerland)
What would we have done differently?
- Add 1 day more in Graskop
- Explore the Limpopo Region (+2 days)
- Skip St. Lucia or at least attend the Hippo Tour
- Go for the Amphitheater hike in the Drakensberg mountains
- Stay 2-3 days in Lesotho (check for visa requirements)
The last advice: JUST GO. It will be a trip of your lifetime, for sure :)
So, tell us, are you planning a trip to these areas? Or have you already visited these places? Please share in the comments below!